What should I do if I can't achieve or maintain an erection?

It can take a lot of courage to seek help for erectile issues. Some men may get help on their own, and others may go with their partner for support and to work through the issue together.

If a man thinks something may physically be wrong, it can be helpful to see a doctor. Making an appointment to see a urologist to do some general tests can help narrow down or rule out the cause.

If the cause may be psychological in nature, it's helpful to see a sex counselor or sex therapist. In general, sex counselors and sex therapists tend to get specific training about sexual issues that sabotage sexual satisfaction, like erectile issues. It is important to find a counselor or therapist who is certified by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT). As, experts with this certification have had training related to both relationship issues and sexual concerns.

A sex coach can also help individuals and couples. They tend to work on issues in the present, and through communication and home activities help get to the root of the issue providing education, support and guidance for an individual or couple to set and reach their goals. In regard to erectile issues, when the cause is not deeply psychological in nature, coaching can be helpful. Since many people can call themselves a "coach," it is best to find one that has a graduate or doctoral degree in human sexuality and certification from AASECT as a sexuality educator, counselor or therapist.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Causes

How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
What are the Potential Side Effects of Drugs Used to Treat Erectile Dysfunction?
Does Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction Ever Include Surgery?
How Can Bladder Cancer Treatment Affect a Man's Sexual Health?