question

What is the goal of nutrition therapy for diabetes?

Constance Brown-Riggs
Constance Brown-Riggs on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer
In short the goal of medical nutrition therapy for diabetes is to controll the ABCs of diabetes.
  • A1C -- The A1C test tells you what your blood glucose level has been every day for the past 90 days. The goal is to achieve and maintain normal blood glucose levels as safely as possible. The American Diabetes Association recommends an A1C less than 7. Keeping your blood glucose under control can protect your heart and blood vessels, kidneys, feet, and eyes.
  • Bp -- Achieve and maintain blood pressure in an ideal range to reduce the risk of uncontrolled hypertension. For most people with diabetes the goal is 130/80. High blood pressure can cause heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease.
  • C -- Achieve and maintain cholesterol levels that reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease. The goal for LDL – so called “bad” cholesterol, is less than 100 for most people with diabetes. LDL cholesterol can build up and clog your blood vessels, causing heart attack and stroke. The goal for HDL – so called “good” cholesterol, is 40 or higher. HDL cholesterol helps to remove cholesterol from your blood vessels.
Diabetes is unique to each individual, so your individual goals should be set with your diabetes health care provider, and you should work closely with them to adjust your care plan if you aren't meeting your goals.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

A Guide to Diabetes-Friendly Movie Snacks
Movies and snacks go hand in hand. Unfortunately, if you have diabetes, you should avoid candy, soda, movie theater popcorn and most of the other snac...
Do Brain-Health Supplements Really Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also decision maki...
What are free foods?
Consider the following vegetables as free foods: Alfalfa , prouts, Bell, peppers, Bok choy, cabbage....
What diet should I follow after I have my gallbladder removed?
Eat a well balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Learn more from our experts about gallbladde...