What are ways to prevent anemia during chemotherapy?

Chemotherapy can cause anemia, a hemoglobin deficiency that can make you feel short of breath, very weak, or tired. To combat anemia, a doctor may:
  • Watch blood levels of hemoglobin
  • Monitor blood levels of iron
  • Check your blood count
  • Prescribe epoetin alfa (Procrit or Epogen) or darbepoetin alfa (Aranesp)
  • Recommend a blood transfusion (minority of cases)
At home, you can try these ways to combat anemia or fatigue:
  • Get plenty of rest. Sleep more at night and take naps during the day if you can.
  • Slow down. Do only the things that are the most important to you.
  • Ask for help. Ask family and friends to pitch in with daily chores.
  • Eat a well-balanced diet, including plenty of calories and protein. If you don't feel like eating, try smaller snacks and juices or a liquid meal replacement. Or try taking a walk before eating or changing your eating location.
  • Take snacks with you and eat when you feel like it.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
What are the possible benefits of chemotherapy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Depending on the type of cancer or other disease and how advanced it is, chemotherapy may: Cure ...
How should I handle hazardous medications such as chemotherapy drugs?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Sometimes, the best care involves medications that are helpful to the patient but are very stron...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?