How do I talk to someone with Alzheimer's who is out of touch with reality?

There has been a shift in the general philosophy of caring for people with dementia. In the past, the general consensus was that they should be continually oriented to reality. For instance, if a person talked about visiting a sister who had died, the caregiver would remind the person what year it was and that the relative wasn't alive. Experts recommended responses like "No, I'm not your daughter, I'm your nurse."

Experts now believe that these efforts are futile and only frustrate the individual. Today, the preferred approach is to validate the person's feelings. For instance, responses like "You must really love her" to a man who talks about his dead wife, rather than, "She died 10 years ago," foster emotional well-being. Repeated validation may also curb some behavior problems associated with frustration.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Caring For a Loved One With Alzheimer’s
Caring For a Loved One With Alzheimer’s
Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease can be emotionally and physically taxing. It’s hard to see someone you care about change in so man...
How will I feel when a loved one with Alzheimer's dies?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
One insightful person describing the experience of someone caring for an Alzheimer’s patient cal...
Get Better Sleep and 5 More Ways to Help Lower Your Alzheimer’s Risk
Get Better Sleep and 5 More Ways to Help Lower Your Alzheimer’s RiskGet Better Sleep and 5 More Ways to Help Lower Your Alzheimer’s RiskGet Better Sleep and 5 More Ways to Help Lower Your Alzheimer’s RiskGet Better Sleep and 5 More Ways to Help Lower Your Alzheimer’s Risk
No, you can't change your genes or stop aging—but doing this may help.
Doctor-Approved Anti-Alzheimer's Snacks and Desserts