Is Alzheimer's disease related to Parkinson's disease?

Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
Psychology Specialist
Parkinson's disease is not directly related to Alzheimer's disease but it is a form of dementia that, similar to Alzheimer's disease, affects the brain and memory loss. Parkinson's disease begins by affecting movement resulting in stiffness, difficulty walking, tremors, lack of facial expression and impaired speech. Lewy bodies are found in the brain of patients with Parkinson's thus many people with Parkinson's do develop dementia later on in the disease.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

Caring For a Loved One With Alzheimer’s
Caring For a Loved One With Alzheimer’s
Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease can be emotionally and physically taxing. It’s hard to see someone you care about change in so man...
What happens in stage 1 of Alzheimer's disease?
Judith London, MDJudith London, MD
People in the early stages of this disease require the stimulation and interaction with others that ...
If I have Alzheimer's, Will I Also Get Parkinson's Disease?
Is There an Increase in Neurological Disease?