Does psychotherapy help treat Alzheimer's disease?

Judith London, MD
Psychiatry

Although psychotherapy does not stem the progression of Alzheimer's, psychotherapy can treat some of the emotional reactions that accompany the illness. The Alzheimer's Assn. sponsors support groups for people in the early stages of the disease, and these people describe the groups as a 'lifesaver'. In my experience, as I show in my book, "Connecting the Dots: Breakthroughs in Communication as Alzheimer's Advances", group therapy with those in the later stages of the disease improved their quality of life even with their memory deficits because unconscious memory remains in Alzheimer's. This means that people absorb impressions and still have feelings even if they cannot remember why they feel that way.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

How will new drugs for Alzheimer's disease help control costs of care?
PhRMAPhRMA
A new report from the Alzheimer’s Association finds that on our current trajectory Alzheimer’s d...
What are treatments for Alzheimer's disease?
Elayne ForgieElayne Forgie
For treatment involving medication, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved two typ...
Can Resveratrol Help in the Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease?
Are Down Syndrome Therapies Similar to Alzehimer's Disease Therapies?