Does psychotherapy help treat Alzheimer's disease?

Judith London, MD
Psychiatry

Although psychotherapy does not stem the progression of Alzheimer's, psychotherapy can treat some of the emotional reactions that accompany the illness. The Alzheimer's Assn. sponsors support groups for people in the early stages of the disease, and these people describe the groups as a 'lifesaver'. In my experience, as I show in my book, "Connecting the Dots: Breakthroughs in Communication as Alzheimer's Advances", group therapy with those in the later stages of the disease improved their quality of life even with their memory deficits because unconscious memory remains in Alzheimer's. This means that people absorb impressions and still have feelings even if they cannot remember why they feel that way.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Alzheimer's disease treatment options are as individual as those afflicted with the condition. In the early stages, nonmedical options like memory-training classes and physical exercise can help improve and later slow the symptoms ...

of Alzheimer's disease. As the condition progresses, treatment options can include speech and behavioral therapy in combination with medication. It's important to remember that treatment should begin as soon as the diagnosis has been made to ensure the highest rate of success.