Does psychotherapy help treat Alzheimer's disease?

Judith London, MD
Psychiatry

Although psychotherapy does not stem the progression of Alzheimer's, psychotherapy can treat some of the emotional reactions that accompany the illness. The Alzheimer's Assn. sponsors support groups for people in the early stages of the disease, and these people describe the groups as a 'lifesaver'. In my experience, as I show in my book, "Connecting the Dots: Breakthroughs in Communication as Alzheimer's Advances", group therapy with those in the later stages of the disease improved their quality of life even with their memory deficits because unconscious memory remains in Alzheimer's. This means that people absorb impressions and still have feelings even if they cannot remember why they feel that way.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Treatment

Do certain foods cure Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
For one thing, large studies have shown that people who eat diets lower in saturated fats, trans fat...
What should I expect after deep brain stimulation?
Brian Kopell, MDBrian Kopell, MD
Following deep brain stimulation, your Parkinson’s disease symptoms will be minimized, and, during a...
Are Down Syndrome Therapies Similar to Alzehimer's Disease Therapies?
A New Medication for Alzheimer’s Disease