What are the chances that I will develop Alzheimer's disease as I age?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
As you get older, there's about a 1% risk per year of developing Alzheimer's disease. Deficits in memory and cognition you experience can be confirmed in tests by neuropsychologists. Based on how old and well-educated you are, the cultural context of your test results will determine whether or not you actually have statistically significant deficits.

If you've noticed memory cognition changes, you may have testing deficits and may meet the category or criteria of a diagnosis for mild cognitive impairment (MCI).

Here, your risk for Alzheimer's disease jumps from 1% for normal aging to 10% to 15% per year for MCI. This risk does not mean the definite progression of Alzheimer's. After about five years, roughly half of people with MCI go on to develop Alzheimer's disease; the other half, do not.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease Causes

Type 3 Diabetes: The Alzheimer’s-Glucose Connection
Alzheimer’s disease is common and mysterious, well-documented and hidden. Though it affects an estimated 5.4 million Americans (5.3 million are 65 or ...
How does my environment affect my risk of Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
Scientists have been looking at the notion of "environmental enrichment" -- living in a place wi...
How do hormones affect the risk or progression of Alzheimer's disease?
Samuel E. Gandy, MDSamuel E. Gandy, MD
Understanding how hormones such as estrogen, testosterone, and insulin impact the risk or progre...
Why Does an Extra Copy of One Gene in Down Syndrome Patients Have Such a Profound Effect?