How long does it take for most acne medications to start working?

You should consult a dermatologist for specific questions about acne medications. Within six to eight weeks, most treatment should result in improved skin. However, you may not see completely clear skin for about six months.

Most acne medications take a few weeks, or even a few months, before there's a noticeable improvement. In fact, some medications might cause acne to get worse before it gets better. Both topical and oral medications need at least a few weeks to start working, since they often require a little time for the antibacterial properties to kill bacteria in the skin, or they take time for the body to "rebalance" its hormones. Don't get discouraged if you don't see an immediate improvement in your skin after starting a new treatment. Talk to a doctor if you're concerned about the effectiveness of your medication.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Will taking oral acne antibiotics make my oral contraceptive ineffective?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Oral contraceptives are approximately 99.6% effective. When oral antibiotics are started, the ef...
What is the Smoothbeam device for treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The Smoothbeam system is a diode laser that has clearance to treat both acne and depressed scarr...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?