What is clitoral atrophy?

The clitoris is made up of spongy erectile tissue that fills with blood during sexual arousal.  This spongy tissue is maintained by the hormone testosterone and is dependent on good blood flow.  When a woman's level of testosterone drops significantly, such as with menopause or the use of hormonal birth control, she could experience a decrease in size, function, and sensitivity of the clitoris over time, also known as clitoral atrophy.
All the tissues of the body depend on good blood flow for their nurishment and functioning.  Because of this, having regular sexual activity or some form of clitoral stimulation along with arousal will continue to provide those tissues with the blood they need.  Engaging in regular exercise helps by both increasing general blood flow as well as by increasing and maintaining the production of testosterone.  Some women also may benefit from having their testosterone supplemented after menopause in order to prevent clitoral atrophy. 

The inability to feel the clitoris can occur in post-menopausal women. In this video Dr. Oz declares that you must "use it or lose it" to have a healthy sex life.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Can alcohol cause delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
A small amount of alcohol may put you in the mood for sex, but larger quantities can impair not only...
Is something wrong if I don't orgasm every time I have sex?
Most likely, nothing is wrong if you don't have an orgasm every time you have sex. In fact, it's pre...
Why should my partner avoid pornography if he has delayed ejaculation?
Put away the porn if your partner has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble achieving o...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...