What is clitoral atrophy?

The clitoris is made up of spongy erectile tissue that fills with blood during sexual arousal.  This spongy tissue is maintained by the hormone testosterone and is dependent on good blood flow.  When a woman's level of testosterone drops significantly, such as with menopause or the use of hormonal birth control, she could experience a decrease in size, function, and sensitivity of the clitoris over time, also known as clitoral atrophy.
All the tissues of the body depend on good blood flow for their nurishment and functioning.  Because of this, having regular sexual activity or some form of clitoral stimulation along with arousal will continue to provide those tissues with the blood they need.  Engaging in regular exercise helps by both increasing general blood flow as well as by increasing and maintaining the production of testosterone.  Some women also may benefit from having their testosterone supplemented after menopause in order to prevent clitoral atrophy. 

The inability to feel the clitoris can occur in post-menopausal women. In this video Dr. Oz declares that you must "use it or lose it" to have a healthy sex life.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...
How can I improve my ability to orgasm?
The better you know your body, the better your chance of having a fulfilling sex life. However, wome...
How can I give a woman an orgasm without intercourse?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
In my experience, one of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex,...
Why should my partner see a doctor if he has delayed ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Get a clean bill of health for your partner if he has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble...