Is it common to have a ticklish clitoris?

The clitoris is a very sensitive structure. In fact, it has about 8,000 nerve endings concentrated in the tiny tip, which is the most concentration of nerve endings in any body part for both men and women. This is twice as many nerve endings as a man has on the tip of his penis! Because there are so many nerve endings, stimulation of the clitoris is the most common method for women to achieve orgasm. Many women would describe the sensation of touching their clitoris as ticklish, others might call it tingly. It can be so sensitive for some women that they consider the feeling to be unbearable or "too much" if it is touched directly. If this is the case, stimulating the clitoris from the side along its shaft and over the skin that covers it is the best way to go, so that it can be stimulated without overwhelming the nerve endings.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

How can I have an orgasm if I am not trying to?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Learn to enjoy the lovely sensation of sexual arousal. You’re watching your arousal grow. You’re rel...
Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?
The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're h...
How can I help my partner last longer during sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Try positions that emphasize the top of the penis rather than the sensitive underside. Focusing on p...
As a man, how can I help my partner reach orgasm?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Sex isn't necessarily better when it's longer. If you're not hitting all the right spots, she's not ...