How do illnesses affect the ability to orgasm?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Certain illnesses may affect a person's ability to orgasm. Obviously, illnesses or other medical conditions that affect the genital area may affect a person's ability to orgasm. This is also the case for people that have undergone surgery that affects the genitals or reproductive system, such as women who undergo hysterectomies. Other illnesses, like diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and other neurological diseases may cause problems with the ability to orgasm. This is especially true of any condition that decreases sensation in the genital area, but it can also be true of any conditions that cause you to be fatigued or otherwise stressed.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

can i give myself an orgasm ?
It's possible to have an orgasm without having sexual intercourse and even without another person. Y...
how can i achieve the best orgasm ?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
There is only one kind of orgasm. Sure, you can achieve it in different ways. But in the end, an org...
can orgasms be caused by anything other than sex ?
Orgasms can be caused by almost any type of sexual activity, not just sexual intercourse. Oral sex a...
how can i give a woman an orgasm without intercourse ?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
In my experience, one of the most effective and satisfying ways to get a woman off is with oral sex,...