Why Your Blood Pressure Matters
Doctors worry about high blood pressure, or hypertension, because it puts you at risk for heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's and other conditions that can take years off your life. In fact, maintaining a normal blood pressure is one of the keys to staying healthy as you age.
How Can I Lower MyBlood Pressure?Find Out
AskMDGot high blood pressure? Find out more about your symptoms
The estimated percentage of Americans with
high blood pressure
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Robert H. Levitt, MD
Cardiology, Internal Medicine
Henrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
What numbers are considered high blood pressure?
A healthy blood pressure is less than 120/80, prehypertension is 120-139/80-89, and high blood pressure (HTN) is anything over . . .
- Q What are the risks of high blood pressure (hypertension)?
- Q Can reducing salt intake lower blood pressure?
- Q How does sleep affect blood pressure?
- Q Why is high blood pressure so dangerous?
- Q What should I do if I have high blood pressure?
- Q What are the risks of not treating high blood pressure?
- Q How does hypertension affect the body?
- Q What are natural ways to lower blood pressure?
- Q What's the right way to check my blood pressure?
- Q Does being overweight cause high blood pressure?
Hypertension Action Plans
If you've been diagnosed with hypertension, it's time to take control of your blood pressure with our action plans.
Follow the DASH Diet Treat with Weight Loss Don’t Sacrifice Protein Prevent Peripheral Artery Disease Learn More: See All Hypertension Articles
High Blood Pressure VideosSee more high blood pressure videos:
Beat Hypertension with Beets
Beet juice does wonders to lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health, according to researchers. Get the benefits yourself.
Get the Scoop on Salt
Are you eating too much salt? You might be without even realizing it. Lowering your sodium intake is one of the first steps to manage hypertension.
Discussions on DailyStrength
Afraid to go to the doctor
Blood pressure spike
Very high blood pressure