How loud does it get in the womb?

That ambient sound a baby hears in the womb - mainly blood running through your blood vessels and the movement of your stomach and intestines - actually reaches the level of about 90 decibels (about the level of background noise in an apartment next to an elevated train). While his developing ears can take those internal noise levels, exposure to very loud external noises can endanger an unborn baby's hearing.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Can Digital Mammography Improve Breast Cancer Detection?
In 1987, first lady Nancy Reagan had surgery for early-stage cancer in her left breast. The tumor was just seven millimeters in diameter, the smallest...
Are women healthier than men?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
A 2007 analysis from the National Center for Health Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control ...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina6 Surprising Facts About Your Vagina
Your vagina has incredible healing powers.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?