question

How loud does it get in the womb?

answer
That ambient sound a baby hears in the womb - mainly blood running through your blood vessels and the movement of your stomach and intestines - actually reaches the level of about 90 decibels (about the level of background noise in an apartment next to an elevated train). While his developing ears can take those internal noise levels, exposure to very loud external noises can endanger an unborn baby's hearing.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Health Benefits of Regular Exercise Greater For Women Than Men
Regular exercise has proven health benefits for everyone. But the upside for women may be even greater than it is for men—even when women put in less ...
Understanding What Causes Age-Related Weight Gain
As people age, they may notice that they’re gaining weight—even though their diet and activity level hasn’t changed. In many cases, the extra weight a...
Does dysmenorrhea affect fertility?
Dysmenorrhea may be caused by an underlying gynecological disorder that can affect fertility. Learn ...
8 Key Facts to Know About Endometriosis
8 Key Facts to Know About Endometriosis8 Key Facts to Know About Endometriosis8 Key Facts to Know About Endometriosis8 Key Facts to Know About Endometriosis
This ‘invisible’ condition affects 1 out of 10 people who menstruate. Extreme cramping, heavy bleeding, and digestive issues: They're all just part o...