If I have breast implants, what type of mammogram will I need?

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

You should request the Eklund technique mammogram if you have implants. This technique uses a cone compression device that will displace the prosthetic device while taking several views of the breast. The technician must be made aware that you have either silicone or saline implants. The special hand piece will then be used to prevent inadvertent rupture of your breast implant. Patients with silicone gel implants should have an MRI performed at least every three years to determine the integrity of the silicone shell. Mammograms are not sensitive to silicone rupture and yield false negative results.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

how often should women over 50 be screened for colorectal cancer ?
The American Cancer Society recommends that women at average risk for colorectal cancer have one of ...
can i have pcos even if my ovaries have been removed ?
You can still have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) even if your ovaries have been removed because P...
what is postpartum depression ( ppd ) ?
what is postpartum depression ( ppd ) ?
What the best way to clean off makeup at the end of the day ?