Will strength training decrease flexibility?

If flexibility training is used in conjunction with strength training, then flexibility will not decrease. When you lift weights or perform any type of resistance training it works to activate and shorten the muscle which is being worked. Blood will also rush to the muscle to immediately begin with repairs. Flexibility training, through stretching, will return the muscle to its original length after an exercise session and improve circulation to aid in recovery. Flexibility training has many benefits such as helping to correct and prevent muscle imbalances usually due to lifestyle or an exercise program, helping to increase range of motion in the joints, relieving stress at certain joints, decreasing the chance of injury, and improving posture.
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
Strength training performed correctly will not decrease your flexibility. You should warm up properly prior to performing strength training and you should stretch after working out to restore normal muscle length. This will help you prevent getting injured and help you maintain your normal range of motion.
Not if done in conjunction with flexibility training. Training should be a comprehensive solution that takes in to account all the factors that affect performance. Stability and Mobility are critical to building a strong foundation that will lead to years of better living.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Sometimes it's hard to know how much weight is enough when you're a beginner trying to start a strength-training program.  Rule of thumb: Don't start...
Why does my neck hurt when I lift hand weights?
Why does my neck hurt when I lift hand weights? When lifting even light hand weights in a standing o...
My hands get tired and sore after I lift weights, what can I do?
My hands get tired and sore after I lift weights, what can I do? Alleviate tired and sore hands afte...
Will resistance training make me less flexible?
Will resistance training make me less flexible? Resistance training can make you less flexible if yo...