What is health and wellness?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

The definition of health goes way beyond 'the absence of disease'.  Even the World Health Organization uses a broader definition. 

It is also managing a chronic disease successfully to minimize complications and recurrences.  Healthy people are able to utilize whatever resources are available to them to live their lives on their own terms.  A paraplegic who goes to work every day, supports their family and enjoys being alive is healthy. 

A brilliant professor of mine defines health as functional competence.  Over time, that definition has held up under scrutiny.   

Continue Learning about Wellness

how can i be healthy on summer vacation ?
Summer vacation is like all other times in your life. Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consum...
how do i find more balance in my life ?
Drew Ramsey, MDDrew Ramsey, MD
To find more balance in your life: Eat more nutrient-dense foods, be more mindful, and get 7-8 hours...
how can i choose a pet that does not harm my health or my family health ?
Before you purchase or adopt a pet, make sure that it is the right one for you and your family. The ...
what are some natural remedies for body aches ?