question

What vitamins can help protect my skin from sun damage?

RealAge
RealAge
answer
Vitamin E might be called the great defender, since it protects cell walls and regulates collagen breakdown. E works best with helper antioxidants like C. Small studies show that swallowing C and E supplements significantly increases the skin's ability to stand up to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Rubbing on products that contain a combo of C and E also helps prevent damage when used before sun exposure. Since sun is the number one skin ager, this is good to know.
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
answer
Currently, there are no vitamins that protect your skin from sun damage. The most effective way to protect your skin is to limit your sun exposure by using sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher, applying frequently and wearing protective clothing.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Could You See Better With These Cataract-Fighting Foods?
To help reduce your risk of cataracts clouding your vision as you age, pluck these items out of your crisper drawer: bell peppers, broccoli and orange...
Biotin: Does It Really Strengthen Your Hair and Nails?
There are many nutritional supplements that claim to help you grow luxurious, long hair and nails. One of the more popular is vitamin B7, otherwise kn...
What vitamins can I take if I'm using statin drugs?
What vitamins can I take if I'm using statin drugs? You need to be careful what you take with statin...
Can I crush vitamin supplements before swallowing?
Can I crush vitamin supplements before swallowing? Check with your pharmacist or doctor before crush...