question

How can I take vitamins and supplements without getting an upset stomach?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy
answer
Some supplements can upset your stomach. Iron supplements are especially likely to do this. If you have been prescribed iron supplements by your doctor, the supplements may come with a recommendation that you take them on an empty stomach, which helps your body absorb more iron. But some people can't do that without getting an upset stomach, so it may be better to take them with meals. Other supplements, such as calcium, on the other hand, are best taken with food.

In general, follow the instructions that come with your supplement, such as drinking enough water. If your supplement continues to upset your stomach, stop taking it. If you are taking it for a medical reason, let your doctor know it's causing you discomfort. He or she may be able to prescribe an alternative that is easier on your stomach.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Biotin: Does It Really Strengthen Your Hair and Nails?
There are many nutritional supplements that claim to help you grow luxurious, long hair and nails. One of the more popular is vitamin B7, otherwise kn...
How are water-soluble vitamins absorbed by the body?
How are water-soluble vitamins absorbed by the body? They are absorbed directly into the bloodstream...
Should I take vitamins even if I eat right?
Should I take vitamins even if I eat right? In the category of Things Your Mother Was Right About Al...
Is there a vitamin that makes me feel full?
Is there a vitamin that makes me feel full? Vitamins can't directly help you to feel full as they do...