Do multivitamins contain gluten?

Kat Barefield, MS, RD
Most probably don’t, but if so, it’ll say so on the label. Look for the fine print usually on the bottom where the product lists things it doesn’t contain such as gluten, dairy, tree nuts, etc.. Most Multivitamin and Mineral formulas (MVM) try to eliminate sources that people may have allergies to and gluten is one of them.

Yes, some multivitamin products may contain gluten. People who have a wheat allergy or celiac disease might be concerned about gluten in their multivitamins. Gluten is a protein found in certain grains, primarily wheat, barley and rye. It can be a serious problem for sensitive people. Gluten can be hidden in many products including prescription, over-the-counter remedies and dietary supplements including vitamins.

Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always list all the inactive ingredients in their products, including gluten. It can be difficult to determine whether or not a vitamin contains gluten, or has come in contact with gluten during processing, because that type of labeling is not required. Most inactive ingredients, including gluten, are rarely listed on the pharmacy prescription label.

If you are sensitive to gluten you can contact the manufacturer directly or ask your pharmacist to recommend a gluten-free vitamin.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

What Are the Risks Involved With Vitamin Injection Therapy?
What Vitamins Should I Take to Slow Aging?
Why Should I Be Cautious When Giving My Child Fortified Cereal?
Which Vitamins Are Most Important for Healthy Skin?