If I take a multivitamin, why should I consider one without iron?

If you take a multivitamin, there are good reasons to consider one without iron. The body tends to hold onto extra iron -- and if you take too much, that can be dangerous. Over the long run, an excess may lead to liver damage and even diabetes. So if you’re already consuming a sufficient amount of the mineral, you may not need the extra dose in your multivitamin. Limit your intake to 45 milligrams a day. Men and postmenopausal women shouldn't take extra iron without telling their doctor.

If your doctor has told you that you do need extra iron, you should take it on an empty stomach, since that's how it's best digested. (You can also take it with a glass of orange juice, since vitamin C improves absorption.) If iron makes your stomach hurt, you may need to pair it with a small amount of food. Don't take it with milk, calcium or whole grains, all of which reduce absorption.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Is "Herbal Viagra" Safe?
Is "Herbal Viagra" Safe?
Think an herbal supplement that promises to enhance male sexual performance is too good to be true? You’re probably right. According to the federal Fo...
Are all vitamins created equally?
dotFITdotFIT
No, don’t expect much if you are using a cheap $3.00-5.00 per month product that is mass marketed. Y...
Can I take multiple vitamins at the same time?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
All of the essential vitamins can be taken at the same time. In fact, that's the best way to get the...
The Best Ways to Boost Your Vitamin B12
The Best Ways to Boost Your Vitamin B12