If your doctor has told you that you do need extra iron, you should take it on an empty stomach, since that's how it's best digested. (You can also take it with a glass of orange juice, since vitamin C improves absorption.) If iron makes your stomach hurt, you may need to pair it with a small amount of food. Don't take it with milk, calcium or whole grains, all of which reduce absorption.
- Q How should I take multivitamins?
- Q What is a prescription prenatal, postnatal multivitamin?
- Q Just what is a multivitamin, anyway?
- Q Should I take a daily multivitamin?
- Q Should I take a daily multivitamin and if so, which one?
- Q What should I know about prescription prenatal, postnatal multivitamins?