Why does my shoulder hurt when I complete a chest exercise?

There may be several causes as to why your shoulder hurts during a chest exercise including dysfunction of the rotator cuff (small muscles that help support your shoulder), other ligaments, tendons, or bursa (fluid-like sac) of the shoulder. Whenever you experience pain during an exercise, it is important to stop the exercise immediately and follow treatment guidelines outlined by your physician. Treatment should help relieve the pain and help restore normal shoulder function. Pain relief strategies may include undergoing a period of active rest (you should move your shoulder, but you shouldn't do strenuous activities like lifting heavy weights), applying ice within the first 24 hours to help reduce inflammation, and taking over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen. Once you have been given the clearance to resume exercise, it will be important to incorporate some stretching and strengthening exercises for the shoulder. Some common exercises for shoulder dysfunction include foam rolling for the lats and mid back; static stretches for the chest, lats, and posterior shoulder; and strengthening exercises for the rotator cuff such as a standing cable external rotation.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Winter Fitness Alternative for Walkers and Runners
Is winter weather disrupting your walking or running routine? Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. Both offer all-body and aerobic workouts with m...
How do I perform an arms overhead floor crunch with rotation?
Lie on your back with your knees bent, feet placed flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Exte...
5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
Get your butt in gear with these simple and fun exercises. Don't tell us. We know. Summer's here, so there's no more hiding behind bulky sweaters and ...
Can Sitting Cause Cancer?
Can Sitting Cause Cancer?