What tempo should I use if I want to increase my power?

In order to increase power, you should perform your exercises at high speeds that are explosive in nature. This tempo varies based on your ability to generate power, but usually, your tempo is defined as "as fast as you can perform the exercise." There are many forms of power training including explosive jumping exercises, sprints, Olympic weightlifting, and even throwing medicine balls. One form of power training focuses on both high force (strength) and velocity (speed) to increase rate of force production (how fast your muscles can contract). This can be accomplished by combining a heavy resistance exercises with an explosive power exercise for each body part. Some refer to this type of training as complex training. The first exercise you would perform is a heavy resistance exercise such as a bench press, barbell row or squat for 1-5 repetitions. After completing the first exercise, you would immediately complete an explosive power exercise for 5-10 repetitions, working the same muscle groups. Because power exercises must be performed in an explosive fashion, the weight will be light and typically involve medicine balls, light dumbbells, barbells, or elastic tubing. Common power exercises include medicine ball chest pass, squat jumps, and a speed bench press.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.