What can I do if exercising has made my neck muscles big and bulky?

Perform exercises that place less emphasis on the muscles of the neck and shoulders. Take a second look at your workouts and make sure they are balanced to stress all the major regions of the body. (Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, and Legs.)

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
If you are getting bulky muscles at the sides of the neck and top of the shoulder, you are probably overdeveloping your trapezius muscles. I hear this complaint when clients have improper form, or overdo push-ups in their workout routine. Static Plank hold is an excellent substitution for push-up addicts! Plank is a great pose for the whole body. In my classes I help clients find proper alignment. You want Plank to be a sweaty hold, where you can find ease and fluid breath.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Cross-Training for Runners and Walkers
It’s no secret—runners love to run. Got an extra 15 minutes? To a runner, that’s enough time to lace up and grab a mile or more. And while running or ...
What is a good exercise to improve foot quickness?
When doing any foot-quickness drill, ensure that your body is shifting its center of gravity in acco...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge