question

Why do my neck muscles feel tight after a shoulder workout?

National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine
answer

When strengthening your shoulders, your neck muscles are typically working at the same time because many of your neck muscles also connect to portions of your shoulder. If your form is not proper or the weight is too heavy, you may be placing too much stress on your neck muscles. To help overcome this problem, perform an upper trapezius stretch as part of your warm-up and cool-down, making sure to hold the stretch for approximately 30 seconds. In addition, ask a certified fitness professional to help determine if you are performing your shoulder exercises with proper form. If pain persists, seek the guidance of a licensed health professional.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

What is the principle of adaptation?
What is the principle of adaptation? The principle of adaptation refers to the body getting used to ...
Can I exercise right after having my meals?
Can I exercise right after having my meals? It's not a good idea to do any kind of strenuous exercis...
How do I perform a ball cobra?
How do I perform a ball cobra? Lie on top of a stability ball. Learn more from our experts about per...
What muscles are involved in chest training?
What muscles are involved in chest training? The muscles involved in training the chest are the pect...