How can stress affect my weight and eating habits?

Stress can cause what has been termed toxic weight gain. Cortisol, a hormone released when you're under stress, is an appetite trigger. That's why so many women eat more -- and less-than-healthy food -- when under a lot of stress. Those extra calories are converted to fat deposits that gravitate to the waistline. These fat deposits, called visceral fat, are associated with life-threatening illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer. Chronically high levels of cortisol may stimulate the fat cells inside the abdomen to fill with more fat. As you age, this expanding waistline can be life threatening.
Marjorie Nolan Cohn

There are several ways stress can affects weight and eating. Stress causes many people to stress eat. Stress eating is a type of emotional eating, which contributes to excess calories and when done often enough causes weight gain. In addition, the type so food people crave when stressed are generally high fat/sugary foods. Another way stress affects eating has to do with sleeping patterns. When someone is stressed they generally sleep less. Less sleep, chronic fatigue causes the hormone ghrelin to rise. Ghrelin is the primary hunger hormone, and causes someone to feel hungry even when they don’t need to eat.

Stress can affect your weight and eating habits by increasing the levels of stress hormones (specifically cortisol) circulating in your body. These hormones can cause you to have higher intensity cravings for high fat, calorie-dense foods, which will typically make you gain weight over time. It's part of the body's response to stress, which dates back to the caveman era, where the body responded by wanting to stockpile energy for later.

Continue Learning about Stress

Ease Work Stress
Ease Work Stress
Do you work with people who are cranky, antsy, or fed up to the point of negatively acting out toward you and others? If so, you're not alone. A recen...
What is my body's relaxation response?
Susie WhitworthSusie Whitworth
The relaxation response is inborn in everyone and results in a letting go of tension. When the relax...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
How Can Stress Affect My Hormones?
How Can Stress Affect My Hormones?