How should I spot someone for a power clean?

Physical spotting is not recommended for the Olympic lifts. Due to the explosive and dynamic nature of the lifts, it is generally advised that only one person be on the platform at any one time. Instead of spotting, new lifters are taught how to dump the bar in case of a bad or missed lift. For a bar that is in front of an athlete, it is advised to push against the bar and step back to avoid it. For a bar who's path is traveling behind the lifter, it is advised to push against the bar and move forward to avoid it.

The safest way to 'spot' someone during a power clean is to teach them how to 'miss' correctly. There is no safe way to physically spot someone doing a power clean like there is with the bench press or military press. The power clean is a very explosive exercise that does not lend itself to traditional spotting techniques. Lifters performing the power clean (or any Olympic lift for that matter) need to be taught how to 'miss' correctly. This means they need to learn how to distance themselves from the barbell during a failed lift attempt by pushing the weight away from them. This is a much safer method than to have someone else attempt to help you with the weight.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Odd Sports That Provide Great Fitness Benefits
You may not have heard of chess boxing (11 alternating rounds of fisticuffs and chess moves) or underwater rugby (apparently above-ground rugby isn’t ...
Should I jump into my turns for the pro shuttle or L-drill?
Unfortunately, jumping into your turns is not good for a successful time. When your feet are off the...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?