What can I eat at an Italian restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?

If you're on a kidney diet, typically, Italian sauces should be used in small quantities because they can be high in sodium, phosphorus and potassium. If you're at a restaurant, order the sauce on the side, if possible, but be advised that many Italian restaurants already have their sauce and pastas mixed. A good choice would be salad, bread and a very plain pasta, such as one served in garlic and butter. Pizza is usually salty and high in potassium and phosphorus. If you eat pizza, eat one slice and supplement with a small salad. A pizza with hamburger, green pepper and/or onions would be preferable to a pizza with pepperoni, sausage, olives, anchovies and/or extra cheese. 

Continue Learning about Special Diets

What is a low-fiber diet?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
A low-fiber diet means you eat foods that do not have a lot of fiber. A diet that is low in fiber ha...
Is ViSalus a safe and effective meal replacement?
dotFITdotFIT
ViSalus is a Network Marketing company based out of Troy, Michigan. A home fragrance company now own...
What appetizers can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you're eating out and on a kidney diet, it is probably best to skip appetizers unless you are goi...
Should I avoid fruit, wheat and dairy products if I want to lose fat?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
No, unless you decided to live a less healthy lifestyle. Unless you have a medical condition that di...