What can I eat at an Italian restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?

If you're on a kidney diet, typically, Italian sauces should be used in small quantities because they can be high in sodium, phosphorus and potassium. If you're at a restaurant, order the sauce on the side, if possible, but be advised that many Italian restaurants already have their sauce and pastas mixed. A good choice would be salad, bread and a very plain pasta, such as one served in garlic and butter. Pizza is usually salty and high in potassium and phosphorus. If you eat pizza, eat one slice and supplement with a small salad. A pizza with hamburger, green pepper and/or onions would be preferable to a pizza with pepperoni, sausage, olives, anchovies and/or extra cheese. 

Continue Learning about Special Diets

The Truth About Radon Testing and Fad Diets
Q: What is radon? We’re looking to buy a house and hear I should know about it. — Jeremy K., Minneapolis, MN A: You heard right, Jeremy. Radon is a n...
What salads can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Eating salads and selecting from salad bars is possible once you understand your kidney diet. In fac...
Is a gluten-free diet safe if I don't have celiac disease?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
A gluten-free diet is safe even if you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease. Some non-celiac ...
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?