Why is it hard to quit smoking?

Smoking is so addictive that of those smokers who try to quit, less than 5 percent are successful at any one time. Behavioral associations with smoking such as pairing it with eating or socializing or even with just waking up are the greatest barrier to quitting. The nicotine in cigarettes creates an additional chemical dependence, making smoking cessation both a physical and mental challenge.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How can quitting smoking help my legs?
SCAISCAI
Smoking is the number one risk factor associated with peripheral artery disease (PAD). Smoking is ba...
What are the short-term benefits of quitting smoking?
Within just a few hours of quitting smoking, your body begins to recover from the cigarette smoke th...
How long do I have to quit smoking until my lifespan goes up significantly?
You get one year of life back after three months of quitting, two years after five months, three yea...
Should I let others know that I am quitting smoking?
Absolutely.  If you commit to it by telling others, they will help you and not sabotage you.  That i...