How long do I have to quit smoking until my lifespan goes up significantly?

Studies tend to look at risk of death ("mortality") rather than lifespan, but in those terms, the chance of dying decreases significantly within even a few years. One study showed a 13% reduction in risk of death from all causes just five years after quitting (almost 50% for heart-related causes!). Other studies have looked at the difference in the rate of decline of lung function, where lungs will improve from an increased rate of decline to a slower, closer-to-normal rate of decline within a relatively short period of time.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?
Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a...
How is my baby healthier if I don't smoke?
Staying smoke-free is important. Tobacco smoke contains a deadly mix of more than 7,000 chemicals. W...
What remedies are helpful for quitting smoking?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
There are multiple medications that can help you stop smoking.  The oldest, and most tested, are the...
Are nicotine cravings during addiction recovery psychological or physical?
Nicotine cravings are a double-headed dragon. They are both physical and psychological. Smoking cess...