Do nicotine replacements interact with other medications and food?

Nicotine lozenges, gum, skin patches, inhalers, and nasal spray might have negative interactions with some medications. You should discuss all medications and supplements that you take regularly or occasionally with your doctor before using a nicotine replacement product. There is a chance that the following over-the-counter and prescription medications might interact with nicotine: medications for high blood pressure; acetaminophen (Tylenol); diuretics, also known as water pills; imipramine (Tofranil); insulin; labetalol (Normodyne and Trandate); oxazepam (Serax); pentazocine (Talwin, Talwin NX, and Talacen); prazosin (Minipress); propranolol (Inderal); and theophylline (Theo-Dur, Theolair, and Theochron). Nicotine products can also be affected by caffeine, so you should talk to your doctor about how much caffeine you may consume while using nicotine products.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can I quit smoking without taking drugs?
Quitting smoking can be an incredibly daunting challenge. The odds of success if you go at it alon...
Can I get help by telephone or over the Internet to quit smoking?
SCAISCAI
If you want help with quitting smoking but are not easily able to get to an office for in-person or ...
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking