What happens to a man's body after he orgasms?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
The four-stage model for understanding male sexual response is excitement, plateau, orgasm, and response.

The final phase of sexual response occurs after your guy's orgasm. It's basically a time for his body to relax: The tension seeps out of his muscles, his blood pressure sinks, and his excitement dissipates. Lots of men feel sleepy during resolution and -- unless he's a teenager -- his penis will also take a break. This time, during which his body recovers after orgasm and he can't get an erection again right away, varies depending on his age and is called the refractory period.

Continue Learning about Orgasm

Can You Actually Live Longer If You Have More Orgasms?
Orgasm, climax, the big O—whatever you want to call it, you’re probably a big fan. But did you know that, according to a Planned Parenthood survey, 15...
Can all people experience orgasms?
Though it's generally possible for all people to have orgasms, some people may have trouble orgasmin...
How can I make sure my partner has an orgasm?
Guys, listen up. While men have orgasms in 95 percent of sexual encounters, woman have orgasms in on...
What Is an Orgasm?
What Is an Orgasm?