Why do people hold their breath as they approach orgasm?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

The reason people hold their breath as they approach orgasm is because their thoracic diaphragm is clenching rhythmically along with their abdominal, buttock, thigh, and pelvic muscles. Orgasm, being the explosive release of sexual tension, is preceded by a buildup of tension that comes over your partner like the tide coming in. You’ll be able to see and feel the tension move through your partner’s body in waves, hear it in his or her breath. If their abdomen isn’t taut and their feet aren’t tense, that’s something to wonder about.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Orgasm

What are causes of inability to reach orgasm (anorgasmia)?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
When assessing the problem of inability to reach orgasm (anorgasmia), one of the first things yo...
What is an orgasm?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
An orgasm isn't always the dramatic event that Hollywood portrays it to be, says obstetrician and gy...
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?
What Causes an Orgasm?
What Causes an Orgasm?