Will my sex drive return to normal after going off the pill?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
The level of sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) remains well above pre-pill levels in women, even two years after stopping the pill. This means that even after stopping the pill, a woman's sex drive may not come back as it was before, or it may return slowly. Although it is obvious that there are long-term effects on SHBG, the question still remains if this elevation in SHBG is permanent after using hormonal contraception.  Since a woman's production of testosterone starts to decline slowly in her 30s, this effect is more pronounced the older a woman is.

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

Which hormones can affect male libido?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
For some men, decreased levels of testosterone may be to blame for a flagging libido. This hormone h...
How do I bring back the spark in the bedroom?
Ariel & Shya KaneAriel & Shya Kane
First and foremost, start by being kind to YOURSELF! How you treat yourself, you will ultimately inf...
Diabetes and Your Sex Life
Diabetes and Your Sex Life
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?