Are ulcers contagious?

Ulcers are not contagious. However, peptic ulcers are often caused by a bacterial infection that can be spread, though doctors don't know for sure how it happens. They think it might be transmittable between people in close contact or possibly through contaminated water. It is important to remember that this infection is not the only cause of ulcers and that most of the time an H. pylori infection does not result in an ulcer. Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) may be caused by a viral infection among other things, but they are not considered contagious. (Canker sores are often mistaken for cold sores, which are contagious—but are not ulcers.)

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
Are ulcers serious?
The relative seriousness of ulcers depends upon the kind of ulcer it is and its level of severity. F...
What is a penetrating ulcer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
A penetrating ulcer, also called penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer, is a rare condition that most co...
What Are the Treatment Options for Ulcers?