How do medications treat a seafood allergy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A seafood allergy can be best treated, and prevented, by avoiding seafood. Medications cannot treat the seafood allergy itself. Instead, they help treat the symptoms of the allergic reaction. Antihistamines treat the reaction by stopping the effects of histamine. For serious reactions, epinephrine, which is an injection of adrenaline, is used to reduce, control and relieve the body's reaction to seafood proteins.

Continue Learning about Seafood Allergy

How do I manage my seafood allergy on a daily basis?
The best way to manage your seafood allergy on a daily basis is to avoid seafood. The biggest concer...
What is a seafood allergy?
A seafood allergy is an overreaction by your immune system to seafood. Normally, your body's immune ...
What are the symptoms of a seafood allergy?
Seafood allergies cause many of the same skin and respiratory issues that other allergic reactions u...
Can I take coral calcium if I have a seafood allergy?
Most people with seafood allergies should avoid coral calcium. Taken from coral reefs, this suppleme...