What is rebound congestion?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Rebound congestion occurs is a reaction to congestion treatment where you become even more congested than you were before the treatment. Rebound congestion is caused by overuse of nasal spray decongestants, which are a common treatment for rhinitis congestion. Once the medicine wears off, your nose may flare up. If you find nasal sprays helpful in treating your rhinitis, take care not to use them for more than three or four days at a time. Talk to your Doctor about your symptoms and treatment options.

Continue Learning about Rhinitis

How are sinusitis and rhinitis related?
Sinusitis is inflammation or infection of the lining of the sinuses that often occurs in conjunction...
Should I tell my child's school about rhinitis?
It may be beneficial to your child's health and education for you to tell his or her school about rh...
How do I manage my rhinitis on a daily basis?
Since there are different kinds of rhinitis, ways to manage the conditions may vary. Take the prescr...
How do other illnesses affect rhinitis?
Some illnesses can cause rhinitis. Allergies as well as diseases like tuberculosis and leprosy may l...