question

Are potatoes and tomatoes bad for rheumatoid arthritis?

Lona Sandon
Lona Sandon on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer

There is no scientific evidence that firmly supports the notion that potatoes or tomatoes worsen symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have never found a connection between my symptoms and these foods. Making a connection between the foods we eat and RA symptoms is hard to do because symptoms can vary from day to day for other reasons.

If you think a food made may be causing an increase in symptoms, I recommend keeping a food and symptom journal for several months. Write down everything you had to eat or drink as well as what activities you did that day and the symptoms you experienced. This can help you and your registered dietitian identify patterns in the foods you eat that might be linked to RA symptoms.

For now, the research that is available on diet and RA supports eating a mostly plant-based diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains along with healthy fats from vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish to help lower inflammation levels. Regular exercise can also help with pain, stiffness, fatigue and joint function.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Watch Your Waist for RA Relief
Watch Your Waist for RA Relief
What would you do to be free of the aching, stiffness and swelling that come with rheumatoid arthritis? If you're taking medication as part of your RA...
Can Eating Fish Save Your Joints From Rheumatoid Arthritis?
You may know that adding fish to your diet is good for your heart. But research suggests that eating fatty fish could also lessen the painful symptoms...
How Rheumatoid Arthritis Damages the Entire Body
How Rheumatoid Arthritis Damages the Entire BodyHow Rheumatoid Arthritis Damages the Entire BodyHow Rheumatoid Arthritis Damages the Entire BodyHow Rheumatoid Arthritis Damages the Entire Body
The autoimmune disorder attacks much more than just your joints. It's no secret that rheumatoid arthritis (RA) affects your joints, making pain a reg...
Get to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Get to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Learn about the risk factors, symptoms, and treatments for this autoimmune condition. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes ...