Are potatoes and tomatoes bad for rheumatoid arthritis?

Lona Sandon

There is no scientific evidence that firmly supports the notion that potatoes or tomatoes worsen symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have never found a connection between my symptoms and these foods. Making a connection between the foods we eat and RA symptoms is hard to do because symptoms can vary from day to day for other reasons.

If you think a food made may be causing an increase in symptoms, I recommend keeping a food and symptom journal for several months. Write down everything you had to eat or drink as well as what activities you did that day and the symptoms you experienced. This can help you and your registered dietitian identify patterns in the foods you eat that might be linked to RA symptoms.

For now, the research that is available on diet and RA supports eating a mostly plant-based diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains along with healthy fats from vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish to help lower inflammation levels. Regular exercise can also help with pain, stiffness, fatigue and joint function.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

The Types of Rheumatoid Arthritis Pains to Report to Your Doctor
In this video, learn about the rheumatoid arthritis pains that require your doctor's immediate attention. 
Where Telehealth Fits into Your RA Treatment Plan
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is one of the major types of inflammatory arthritis. It is an autoimmune disease, a disease where the immune system produces...
Biologics May Reduce the Need for Assistive Devices in RA Patients
If you live with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), you know that the disease can make everyday activities -- like walking, bathing and even going to the bath...
Types of RA Control: Are You Getting All 3?
If you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), remission is the golden ring—the prize that means your treatment is working. But researchers are finding that,...