What should I avoid doing if I have high blood pressure (hypertension)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
If you have pulmonary hypertension, you should get some form of exercise, but avoid too strenuous exercise that may cause you to become lightheaded, lose energy, and cause your heart to become overworked. You should also avoid smoking and drug use. Make sure that you do not partake in activities that lower your blood pressure because they can cause you to faint. These activities can also result in death. Such activities include resting in a sauna or hot tub or taking extended hot showers.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

How can I manage living with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You can manage living with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) by understanding that you may have ...
What are the risk factors for aortic dissection?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Risk factors for aortic dissection include: poorly controlled high blood pressure injury to th...
What are normal high blood pressure numbers?
Theodore D. Richards, MDTheodore D. Richards, MD
Stage 1 hypertension, or high blood pressure, is a reading above 140/90. A single high reading does ...
What are the target goals of high blood pressure treatment?
Merle Myerson, MDMerle Myerson, MD
The target goal for high blood pressure treatment is 140/90. In this video, cardiologist Merle Myers...