What is CyberKnife treatment for lung cancer?

Stereotactic body radiosurgery is a very precise way to use high-dose radiation therapy to a limited target, which may be very effective in managing lung cancer. Its advantages are the utilization of high doses of radiation to a limited target area, sparing surrounding healthy tissue. 
Kenneth T. Bastin, MD
Radiation Oncology
CyberKnife radiosurgery for lung cancer is a precise, painless, non-invasive radiation treatment that can be an alternative to open surgery in certain cases. Multiple beams of high-energy radiation are delivered from multiple points outside of the body and converge precisely at the tumor or lesion inside the body. Each individual beam is not sufficient to cause harm, but the convergence of all the beams at the tumor result in the lesion receiving a very high dose of radiation while sparing nearby normal tissue.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How do doctors shape radiation therapy based on a tumor's shape and size?
Tania B. Kaprealian, MDTania B. Kaprealian, MD
A multileaf collimator is used to shape the beams of radiation to the individual tumors. The multile...
What is a radiation oncologist?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
A radiation oncologist treats cancer using radiation treatments. Radiation can be used to treat, spe...
How has radiation improved?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Radiation for throat cancer is far more targeted. In this video, Eric Genden, MD, chairman of the de...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?