Is the rabies vaccine safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Pregnant or breastfeeding women who intend to receive the rabies vaccine as a preventative measure may want to wait until they are no longer pregnant or breastfeeding before being vaccinated. There is a minimal risk to babies who are nursing. Studies determining whether rabies vaccine injection harms human fetuses do not yet exist. However, if you think you have been exposed to rabies, do not wait to be vaccinated. Rabies is a life-threatening disease.

Continue Learning about Rabies Vaccine

Are there any risks associated with receiving the rabies vaccine?
The risks associated with receiving the rabies vaccine are considered minimal compared with the bene...
What is the rabies vaccine?
The rabies vaccine is a prescription injection used to prevent infection with rabies in people who h...
How should I receive the rabies vaccine?
Rabies vaccine is an intramuscular injection, meaning that it is injected into muscle tissue. A medi...
What happens if I miss a dose of the rabies vaccine?
If you miss a dose of rabies vaccine, your doctor will help you reschedule it as soon as possible. I...