Does erectile dysfunction mean that I am infertile?

Not at all. Erectile dysfunction and infertility are very different terms. You may be producing perfectly good sperm, but having trouble with your erection. That’s erectile dysfunction (ED). On the other hand, you may have no trouble raising the rifle, but you’re shooting blanks. That’s infertility. Of course, if you have ED, you won’t be able to deliver your perfectly good semen inside the woman you love to get her pregnant. Fortunately, ED is eminently treatable. Talk to your doctor about lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking (if you are still lighting up), and eating a more heart-healthy diet, as well as medications to help treat ED. And while medications like Viagra can help you get hard and stay hard, keep in mind that your penis is like a dipstick for your health. If your erections are not working, that may be a signal that you have cardiovascular problems. If you want to live long enough to enjoy plenty of great sex, take care of your heart, too.
A lot of guys diagnosed with ED get demoralized, thinking that problems with getting and maintaining an erection during sex makes them incapable of impregnating their partner as well. Wrong. Erectile dysfunction (ED) and infertility, or the inability to produce good sperm, are not the same. So, fathers-to-be, relax—but not too much. Erectile dysfunction may indicate you have  problems with your heart or nervous system. ED may also be due to the side effects of certain medications. The good news is that ED is usually temporary and can be treated. Talk to your doctor about making the kinds of lifestyle choices, such as quitting smoking or cutting down on animal fats, that can help treat your ED.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Causes of Erectile Dysfunction & Cures for ED
Most men associate virility with youth, so it's no wonder that the idea of eventually experiencing diminished virility or erectile dysfunction (ED) ca...
What is the rate of incidence of erectile dysfunction?
The overall rate of erectile dysfunction (ED) is 16% for men between the ages of 20 to 75. The preva...
How can alcohol affect sexual performance?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Some men with erectile dysfunction find that having one drink can help them relax, but heavy use of ...
How Can Lack of Sleep Affect My Erections?