Does erectile dysfunction mean that I am infertile?

A lot of guys diagnosed with ED get demoralized, thinking that problems with getting and maintaining an erection during sex makes them incapable of impregnating their partner as well. Wrong. Erectile dysfunction (ED) and infertility, or the inability to produce good sperm, are not the same. So, fathers-to-be, relax—but not too much. Erectile dysfunction may indicate you have  problems with your heart or nervous system. ED may also be due to the side effects of certain medications. The good news is that ED is usually temporary and can be treated. Talk to your doctor about making the kinds of lifestyle choices, such as quitting smoking or cutting down on animal fats, that can help treat your ED.
Not at all. Erectile dysfunction and infertility are very different terms. You may be producing perfectly good sperm, but having trouble with your erection. That’s erectile dysfunction (ED). On the other hand, you may have no trouble raising the rifle, but you’re shooting blanks. That’s infertility. Of course, if you have ED, you won’t be able to deliver your perfectly good semen inside the woman you love to get her pregnant. Fortunately, ED is eminently treatable. Talk to your doctor about lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking (if you are still lighting up), and eating a more heart-healthy diet, as well as medications to help treat ED. And while medications like Viagra can help you get hard and stay hard, keep in mind that your penis is like a dipstick for your health. If your erections are not working, that may be a signal that you have cardiovascular problems. If you want to live long enough to enjoy plenty of great sex, take care of your heart, too.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile Dysfunction May Predict Heart Problems
Erectile dysfunction not only causes problems in the bedroom -- it can also signal much larger health issues. A study from Johns Hopkins’ Ciccarone Ce...
Is erectile dysfunction an indicator for heart disease?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is caused by different factor, however it could signal heart disease if yo...
Do most men experience impotence at some time in their life?
More than 30 million men in the U.S. have erectile dysfunction (ED), according to the National I...
How Can Lack of Sleep Affect My Erections?