Why can't I take an ED drug if I have low blood pressure?

Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), or Levitra (vardenafil) are not safe to take if you have low blood pressure. In addition, taking drugs for erectile dysfunction (ED) along with alpha blockers like doxazosin mesylate (Cardura), prazosin hydrochloride (Minipress), and terazosin (Hytrin) to lower high blood pressure -- or with nitroglycerin and other nitrate-based drugs (for example, Isordil, Monoket, and Nitrostat) -- can cause a sudden, unsafe decrease in blood pressure.

If you have low blood pressure, or are taking an alpha blocker or a nitrate-based drug, talk to your doctor about ED treatment that is right for you.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Treatment Options for ED
Treatment Options for ED
These days, you have a whole range of options for dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED). The exact treatment you use will depend on what's causing yo...
Why did my doctor ask me if I woke up with an erection in the morning?
Your doctor will ask if you wake up with an erection to determine if your problem is psychological. ...
Is impotence the same thing as erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Impotence is another term that refers to ED. Learn more from our experts about erectile dysfunction....
How Does Stress Affect Erections?
How Does Stress Affect Erections?