Is heavy cigarette smoking considered substance abuse?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

The answer to that question is a resounding yes! Nicotine is an addictive substance inhaled through cigarette smoke. It gives the initial rush or calm when you first inhale. Addiction to nicotine is as pervasive and difficult to stop as other drugs. It's just legal and therefore easier to access. 

Along with the addiction, smoking also has other devastating effects on the cardiovascular system, the development of cancers, etc. to the smoker and those around them. Because so much is now known publicly about the harms of tobacco smoking, its social acceptability is dropping as well. There are laws in many jurisdictions limiting where and when smoking permitted to protect the health of bystanders from second hand smoke. 

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

How do I know if I’m a light, average, or heavy smoker?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Some NRT products make their recommendations based on what kind of smoker you are. But there is no f...
Is nicotine the only harmful part of tobacco?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Nicotine is not the most harmful part of a cigarette. The thousands of other toxins present in tobac...
What should I tell my child about smoking?
It’s okay to be brutally honest -- cigarettes make people sick and many people die because of them. ...
Are e-cigarettes a safe alternative to traditional cigarettes?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
E-cigarettes are not always a safe alternative to traditional cigarettes. Although they are less har...