What are the different types of protein?

Proteins: Complete and Incomplete
There are differences in the types of proteins you eat, some are "complete;" others are "incomplete," and you need them both. Proteins are made of 20 or so building blocks called amino acids. Complete proteins contain the 9 essential amino acids your body needs to build new proteins. Essential amino acids are ones the body can't produce on its own. Animal sources of protein tend to be complete. Other protein sources lack one or more of the essential amino acids; these are called incomplete proteins. These include fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.

Because the body doesn't store amino acids, like it does with fat or carbohydrates, it needs a fresh supply of them every day to make new proteins. Complete and incomplete proteins play an equally important role in this process. The best way to get all the protein you need is to pick from wide and varied sources.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Protein can be categorized into two types: complete and incomplete proteins. Proteins are made up of smaller units, called amino acids. Complete proteins contain all of the amino acids your body needs and include meat, fish, poultry, dairy, and soy products. Foods that are lacking or are very low in one or more essential amino acids are considered incomplete proteins. These foods include beans, grains, nuts, and vegetables.

Continue Learning about Protein

Get More Muscle Tone with This Protein
Get More Muscle Tone with This Protein
Forget the special postworkout protein drinks. Have a glass of this if you want to maximize muscle toning: milk. For reasons not yet understood, it s...
How can isolated proteins affect my health?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When it comes to soy protein, which shows up in so many places such as powders, bars, and shakes, be...
How is gluten sensitivity diagnosed?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
There is no test to diagnose gluten sensitivity. Gluten sensitivity is a diagnosis of exclusion, whi...
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?