What is impaired fasting glucose (IFG)?

Impaired fasting glucose (IFG) is a condition in which a blood glucose test, taken after an 8- to 12-hour fast, shows a level of glucose higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. IFG, also called prediabetes, is a level of 100 mg/dL to 125 mg/dL. Most people with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

Get a Prediabetes Wake-Up Call
Get a Prediabetes Wake-Up Call
At home games the Cleveland Browns blast out a pregame playlist of songs that players and fans have requested to get cranked up for the game. Last sea...
What are other names for prediabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Doctors sometimes refer to this state of elevated blood glucose levels as Impaired Glucose Tolerance...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?