Is sugar alcohol okay for a prediabetic?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Sugar alcohol is "okay" for a prediabetic to consume. Sugar alcohols can still raise blood sugar but the effects are less than if you were to consume a carbohydrate. Please keep in mind that if eaten in excess, sugar alcohols have a laxative affect or cause gas.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

3 Tips to Defeat Prediabetes and Prevent Diabetes
Prediabetes and diabetes are rampant in the U.S., so in 2016, we offered several tips to help you get a handle on your glucose levels, if your blood s...
How common is prediabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
More than 50 million U.S. adults have prediabetes. All of them can do something about it. Blood ...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?