Do You Know Your Blood Sugar Level?
If you’ve never had your blood sugar checked, it’s probably time to do it. You could have prediabetes, a silent condition that could be causing damage throughout your body. Prediabetes means you’re on your way to developing diabetes, and signals a higher risk of heart disease. But by making some changes, you can protect yourself from these grim consequences.
Prediabetes rarely has symptoms. In fact, even people who have diabetes may not notice signs of the disease at first. That’s why having your blood sugar level checked is essential. Ask your doctor about having a fasting blood sugar test, and make sure you know what the numbers mean.
Take the Diabetes Risk TestTest Yourself
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your diabetes
Number of Americans with prediabetes
American Diabetes Association
Yariela Enriquez, MD
Baptist Health South Florida
What are the risk factors for prediabetes?
Some of the primary risk factors for prediabetes are:
- Q How often should I be tested for prediabetes?
- Q What are the risk factors for prediabetes?
- Q Can exercise help improve my blood sugar levels if I have prediabetes?
- Q What are other names for prediabetes?
- Q Could I have prediabetes and not know it?
- Q How common is prediabetes?
- Q How many carbs a day can a prediabetic eat?
- Q How can I tell if I have prediabetes?
- Q Which children should be screened for diabetes?
- Q What is the relationship between prediabetes and type 2 diabetes?