Do You Know Your Blood Sugar Level?
If you’ve never had your blood sugar checked, it’s probably time to do it. You could have prediabetes, a silent condition that could be causing damage throughout your body. Prediabetes means you’re on your way to developing diabetes, and signals a higher risk of heart disease. But by making some changes, you can protect yourself from these grim consequences.
Prediabetes rarely has symptoms. In fact, even people who have diabetes may not notice signs of the disease at first. That’s why having your blood sugar level checked is essential. Ask your doctor about having a fasting blood sugar test, and make sure you know what the numbers mean.
Take the Diabetes Risk TestTest Yourself
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing your diabetes
Number of Americans with prediabetes
American Diabetes Association
Yariela Enriquez, MD
Baptist Health South Florida
What are the risk factors for prediabetes?
Some of the primary risk factors for prediabetes are:
- Q Can exercise help improve my blood sugar levels if I have prediabetes?
- Q Could I have prediabetes and not know it?
- Q What are the risk factors for prediabetes?
- Q How common is prediabetes?
- Q How many carbs a day can a prediabetic eat?
- Q What are other names for prediabetes?
- Q How often should I be tested for prediabetes?
- Q Which children should be screened for diabetes?
- Q How can I tell if I have prediabetes?
- Q What should sugar level be if person is borderline diabetic?
Recent Prediabetes Articles
Use our Action Plans to protect your health and prevent diabetes.
How to Recognize, Prevent or Reverse Prediabetes Why Aren’t More People Treated for Prediabetes? Prediabetes Wake Up Call Take Charge of Your Prediabetes with Great Results! See All Articles