What diseases does fiber help prevent?

Fiber is best known for helping to keep food moving efficiently through your body. Actually, this is only one of the many ways fiber contributes to good health. Fiber helps prevent:
  • Heart disease. Fiber aids in the prevention of heart disease by lowering your cholesterol.
  • Cancer. Research shows people with eat a high-fiber diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and grains are less likely to develop certain types of cancer.
  • Diabetes. Fiber helps control blood sugar levels for people with diabetes.
  • Digestive problems. Adequate amounts of fiber from foods can help prevent constipation and hemorrhoids.
  • Weight gain. A high-fiber eating plan is lower in calories and tends to make you feel full faster.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Q: I read that the weed killer glyphosate—the one found responsible for causing cancer in that groundskeeper in California—is showing up in breakfast ...
How can a dietitian help me meet my nutritional needs?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
To scrutinize your current diet and to set up a plan that precisely meets your nutritional needs, co...
How does soluble fiber help lower cholesterol?
Soluble fiber found in foods such as oatmeal, apples, pears, citrus, beans, peas, carrots, quinoa an...
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?