What do low-fat and fat-free food labels mean?

Toby Smithson

Fat free written on a food label means there is such a low amount of fat that it will not have an effect on your body. Fat free is less than .5 grams fat/serving. An item labeled as low will indicate a specific amount defined for each nutrient. A low fat food will have 3 g fat or less /serving. Check the nutrition facts portion of the label to read exactly how much fat is in the item.

Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD

Watch as nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock explains what low-fat and fat-free labeling on food packages means to the consumer and what you should look out for.

Annemarie Colbin
They mean I would never buy those foods.

Things to ask: 
  • Does the food normally have no fat or little fat? (e.g. stock). If so, the label is meaningless.
  • Does the food normally have a lot of fat? (e.g., mayonnaise, sour cream). If so, what was the fat replaced with? 
Read the list of ingredients carefully -- there is usually weird of non-food ingredients to fake out the palate. I would rather eat the mayonnaise. Fat, in modest amounts, is necessary for our physiology.
  • Low fat means that a food must have 3 grams or less of fat per serving.
  • Fat free means that a food has less than 0.5 grams of fat per serving.
  • Low saturated fat means that a food has 1 gram or less of saturated fat per serving and not more than 15% of its calories come from saturated fat.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Oatmeal... It's What's For Breakfast
Oatmeal... It's What's For Breakfast
When Cleopatra slipped into her oatmeal and buttermilk-filled bathtub, she was making sure her skin was healthy and smooth-looking all day long. What ...
Why might I have too much acid in my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Things that contribute to an overly acidic system: Excess animal protein - If you eat animal pro...
What is the role of micronutrients in the body?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Micronutrients, which are vitamins and minerals, are extremely important for good health. Vitamins a...
What Are the Good Benefits of Almond Milk?