Is eating sour food dangerous?

Judy Caplan
There is a difference between sour foods and spoiled foods. Sour foods can be fermented foods like sauerkraut or pickles. Buttermilk and yogurt are also sour foods. These types of foods are good for you and can have specific health benefits. Spoiled food is rotten food and can be full of dangerous bacteria and pathogens. Practice food safety when you cook, transport, and store food.
Sarah Krieger
We may consider sour foods to be very similar to highly acidic foods, such as tomatoes, citrus fruits, soda, coffee and vinegar. Our stomach is very capable of digesting acidic foods, but for some people with acid reflux or heartburn, the thought of acidic foods makes the stomach turn!

Many sour foods are very nutritious foods with good or great sources of vitamin C, potassium and folic acid -- except the soda and coffee! If you find that too many acidic foods upsets your stomach, it is best to enjoy them with other foods instead of by themselves. To make a personal meal plan for yourself, it is best to speak with a registered dietitian at eatright.org so you can learn how to fit in your favorite foods the best way for you!

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eat This Breakfast to Get Happy
Eat This Breakfast to Get Happy
That bowl of cereal you have for breakfast each morning? It just might be giving you an all-day edge when it comes to feeling happy. Compared with ce...
Are medical nutrition products safe for long-term use?
Jamie McGinnJamie McGinn
There is no reason why FDA-approved, and medically prescribed medical nutritional products are not s...
When should I consult a nutritionist?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
You may want to consult a nutritionist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) website, or ...
Why Should I Avoid Artificial Sweeteners If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?